Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Let's Get Spiritual

The other day, i was feeling weighed down.

I was concentrating too much on my circumstances and not enough on my Lord.

I knew i needed to fill my spirit with His word, but my current reading in Exodus wasn't going to sit well at this moment.

And then something very special happened.

One of the most famous and well-recognized and oft-memorized scriptures in the Bible came alive to me.

I don't think it ever has before - not like this.

I know you've heard it before, so don't stop reading.  Maybe you'll get something out of it.

It's Psalm 23.  The part in bold italics is the scripture.  The part after is what i learned by looking up the meanings of the words - or just what it means to me.

I guess there's a reason why it's so popular.

The Lord is my Shepherd.

Shepherd:  ruler, teacher, caregiver

What better shepherd could i have?

I shall not want.

I shall not lack, be without, decrease, or a have a need.

He makes me lie down in green pastures.

Sheep eat all the time.  To lie down in green pastures means they've had enough.  Fully satisfied.

He leads me beside quiet waters.

This means peace.

He restores my soul.

This speaks volumes i can't properly express.

He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name sake.

Since i'm in HIS flock, He will guide me.  His guidance will keep me on the path.  I don't have to do this on my own.  I just have to stay in his flock.

Even though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i fear no evil, for YOU are with me.

Even if the world around me looks so bad that i can see the shadow of death hovering above me, and it looks like there's no way out, i don't have to fear.  God is with me.  No evil can overcome me as long as He is with me.

Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

The rod is a weapon and a tool.  The staff is for support.  They both support me, protect me, correct me, and console me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.

I just picture that.  The absolute peace you would have to have to spread a table and feast with friends in the presence of those who want your life.

You have anointed my head with oil.

This speaks of provision and abundance and favor.

So much so that...

My cup overflows.

Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and i will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

The goodness and unchanging love of God will pursue me and overtake me all the days of my life, and i will live in God's house with HIM for eternity.








5 comments:

  1. Amen. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever heard Olivia Newton John sing
    "Lets get physical" ?

    That is how I read your post.... "Lets get spiritual spiritual ..... I wanna get spiritual....Let me hear your spirit talk ....... "

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. I think my version is better, don't you? =D

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about that?