Saturday, October 2, 2010

Becoming a Proverbs 31 Woman - or some part of that

First, to follow up on yesterday, i want to thank Kristen, at RATM for posting my What I Want You To Know piece on her blog.  I also want to thank everyone who commented here and on RATM for being so encouraging and kind and uplifting.  All the comments were very extra super friendly, and i am...well, i can't think of the word, but it would indicate especially pleasant emotions.  Additionally, in the last two days, i've gotten over 1600 hits on my blog, which is definitely a record.  I don't think i normally get that in a month!

Second, welcome to the new readers; i hope you enjoy yourself!

Third, an update on my recent whereabouts.  Yesterday, i "helped" (i really didn't do much) a friend with her garage sale, adding in a few of my things to sell also.  I made a whopping $10 in two days, but that's more than i had before, and now i have a little more space around here.

The garage sale brought up something i've been ruminating on lately, the Proverbs 31 woman, specifically the verses 16-19, which seem to indicate that she finds ways to bring income into her household, in addition to all the other things she does.  So i've been looking out for opportunities to make some money on the side, while taking care of my home and chickens and whatnot.

15 She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household and plan the day's work for her servant girls. 16 She goes out to inspect a field and buys it; with her earnings she plants a vineyard. 17 She is energetic and strong, a hard worker.18 She watches for bargains; her lights burn late into the night. 19 Her hands are busy spinning thread, her fingers twisting fiber.

Well, at the garage sale, my friend had several large items that didn't sell.  She and her husband aren't especially computer comfortable, so offered to post her items on Craigslist for her.  She suggested i get a 10% share of any profit, and i agreed.  So i took pictures and posted several items for her, and it looks like she might get one big sale tomorrow!  Awesome!

Now i'm musing about whether this kind of thing might be a viable side-money gig.  I know that there are plenty of folks my parents' age that would rather not deal with things like E-bay or Craigslist, but for me, it's really no big deal.  Just where to get customers, i can't figure out.  Advertising on Craigslist probably wouldn't do it.  Ha!  Maybe i could advertise in the Peddler?  Or something like the Thrifty Nickel?  Your ideas are welcome.

Now if i can just find a way to get verse 15 going.  You know, the part about having servant girls?


Just kidding....sort of.



Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the LORD will be greatly praised.
~Proverbs 31:31~

2 comments:

  1. Good ideas! You figure out vs 15, and let me know! I'd be happy with one part-time servant girl; you know, help out with dishes and laundry and such ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Servant girls is all in the semantics, I bet. For example, I might call my servant girls "grandchildren".

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about that?