- Incubating chicks -- i started a new hatch on Friday. Twenty-four new eggs.
- Broody hens incubating chicks -- i have a new broody hen, who is safe in the brooder, and i gave her seven eggs on Friday night. She took to the move immediately and never protested. What a relief!
- Sassafrass -- This morning, i went sassafrass root hunting. Since it grows a little more heartily than the weeds here, there was lots to be found. Grand fun. Grand smell. I'm going to try some tea this year i think. If it tastes as good as it smells......yum!
- Cold weather. It was 40 degrees this morning. I had to get out my
long sleeved t-shirtwinter clothes so i could go outside and take care of my animals. Cool weather makes me want to do stuff. I love it. Let me clarify. I love Texas' cool weather. I do not love the cold weather of the northerly states. That's just too much of nice thing - to the point of torture.
- Breezy days. Crocheting for the holidays. The freedom to bake bread. Leaves all over the ground, camouflaging my yard in loveliness. Chickens scratching and frolicking all day. I love the autumn.
- Favorite thing #1: My most wonderful Gun-Slingin' Super Hero, who will get up on a 40 degree Saturday morning to get me kolaches and cappuccino from town. And do it with a smile and a kiss. There is no more wonderful husbandly super hero in the land. I declare it.