Yesterday, i canned a pumpkin. That was fun.
But when it was all finished, i knew something was amiss.
See how there's liquid only half way up? It was supposed to be all the way up. And it was when i started.
When i started canning the pumpkin, knowing i plan to use it before the year's out, i said that i would do it as a learning experience. I sure did learn something.
Here's what i learned: when using a pressure canner, it is important to allow the pressure to decrease slowly after canning, leaving the weight in its place. Otherwise, the pressure decreases faster in the canner than in the jars, and some rule of physics forces the jars to give up their liquid. And that's what happened to me.
Successful learning experience.
In other news, i let my chicks out of their pen today. It has been a whole week since i put them in it, but there were flaws in my system, and they escaped a couple of those days. The point is...tonight, which was the test, they still went back and slept under the brooder, where they are not supposed to sleep. Argh!
For a moment i considered letting them sleep there and see how it went. But then i decided to make it fun. I knew i needed to get them back in their pen in the coop, but i have also been needing to get a good inventory of what i have, i.e., breeds, genders, ages, etc. This sort of thing, sorting, listing, knowing, excites me a lot. I think i was out there for over an hour, sorting chicks into separate cages and then examining them to determine gender and then writing down my results, and then finally returning them to their reinforced pen.
Poor things. It's going to be another week.
Poor me. It's going to be another week. We really must beat this into their little brains somehow.
But i am very happy that i got my inventory.
On yet more random information, tomorrow, i am participating in a community garage sale. I'm hoping to make money and friends.
I'm getting very sleepy, and i have more work to do before bed.
Thanks for reading.